NEW YORK ( MainStreet) -- If you think that gas prices are out of control, think again. At less than $4 a gallon nationally -- and during the summer, no less -- Americans are like the pampered gas guzzler of the Western world.
Try the U.K., where the most recent weekly rate for gas was $7.79, or the Netherlands, where the price of gas now tops $8.
It's good to be an oil-producing country, but even with the U.S. profile as an oil producer on the rise -- "The Middle East of the 21st Century," as the rhetoric now goes, thanks to fracking -- other countries retain far greater influence over the ups and downs in the pain at the pump.
No, gas prices aren't out of control compared with the rest of the world, however, the past week's action in gas prices does show that gas prices remain out of your control, specifically. A spike often has nothing to do with actual consumption, little to do with dynamics in the oil market supply chain, but amounts to much ado about geopolitical risks dominating the headlines.According to the most recent
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV