One biotechnology and drugs player that's trading within range of triggering a near-term breakout trade is Viropharma (VPHM), which is engaged in the development and commercialization of products that address diseases, with a focus on products used by physician specialists or in hospital settings. This stock is off to a slow start so far in 2012, with shares down by over 14%.
If you take a look at the chart for Viropharma, you'll notice that this stock gapped down huge back in April from $31 to $20 a share on monster volume. Follow that sharp move lower, shares of VPHM formed a double-bottom chart pattern at around $19.12 to $19.02 a share, and then went on to spike higher toward its current price of $23.30 a share. That spike has now pushed VPHM within range of triggering a near-term breakout trade.
Traders should now look for long-biased traders in VPHM once it manages to trigger a breakout trade above some near-term overhead resistance at $23.43 to $23.89 a share, and then above its 200-day moving average of $24.76 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that's near or above its three-month average action of 1.1 million shares.>>22 Biopharma Stocks With Breakout Potential in 2012 If we get that action soon, then VPHM will have a great chance to re-fill some of that gap from back in April. We could easily see VPHM spike toward $27 to $28 a share in the near future. One could look to buy VPHM off any weakness to anticipate the breakout and simply use a stop near its 50-day moving average of $21.76 a share. I would rather buy this off strength though and get long once it clears those breakout levels with high volume. Use a stop just below $23.43 if you get long off strength.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV