AKRON, Ohio, July 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) utilities have restored service to more than 262,000 of the 327,000 customers in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio and New Jersey who lost power following widespread, severe storms that hit the region Thursday.
Company linemen, hazard responders, forestry workers, call center representatives, management and support personnel currently are working around the clock to restore service to affected customers. In addition, electrical contractors from Michigan, Indiana, Virginia and New York also are being brought in to assist with the restoration effort.
The hardest-hit areas are in western and central Pennsylvania served by FirstEnergy's West Penn Power and Pennsylvania Electric Company (Penelec) utilities. Winds in excess of 60 mph blew down trees and branches, damaging electrical equipment in hundreds of locations. As part of the restoration effort, helicopters are being used to inspect electric lines and assess the damage.
As of noon Friday, estimated customer outage restoration times are as follows:
- Penelec: Approximately 35,000 customers remain without power. The majority will be restored Saturday into Sunday.
- West Penn Power: Approximately 23,000 customers remain without power. The majority will be restored by midnight Saturday, with the remainder completed Sunday.
- Mon Power: Approximately 4,800 customers remain without power. The majority will be restored by midnight tonight.
- Penn Power: Approximately 1,300 customers remain without power. The majority will be restored by midnight tonight.
- JCP&L: Approximately 900 customers remain without power. All customers will be restored by this evening.
- Met-Ed: Less than 500 customers remain without power. Restoration should be completed late Friday into early Saturday.
- Ohio Edison: Less than 500 customers without power. Restoration is expected by this evening.
- First, crews focus on securing hazardous situations such as downed wires to protect public safety.
- Priority also is given to transmission lines, hospitals, communications facilities, emergency response agencies and substation facilities that supply power for local distribution systems.
- Repairs are then made to circuits serving the largest number of customers, followed by restoration of service to individual homes.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV