NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- If you're a current Coinstar (CSTR) investor Thursday's earnings release must have felt like getting a DVD stuck halfway in the machine while running late on your way to work.
Coinstar's stock increased about 6% from a year ago and remains in a bullish trend. Coinstar's CEO Paul Davis announced revenue growth of 22%. While part of the perceived weakness looking forward is attributed to rental weakness, Coinstar and Redbox continue to mint mountains of coins.
At least most of the market cap losses appear to be baked in the cake at this point. Coinstar is currently valued with a price-to-earnings ratio of only 10.
Historically, stocks with a price-to-earnings ratio under 20 outperform stocks with multiples over 20. Does this mean you should not invest in growth companies sporting multiples above 20? No, however, it does mean when you consider an investment such as Coinstar, you should look for dips in the price as buying opportunities. Thursday's after-hours fall was more turbulence than a shifting sentiment in the company or management.Netflix's (NFLX) recent earnings release was met with tempered ingestion and price plunge. It appears reasonable then that Coinstar was facing a selloff with anything other than a strong beat on every metric. (Read my
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV