EXTON, Pa., July 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- ViroPharma Incorporated (Nasdaq: VPHM) today announced the publication of data demonstrating that routine prophylactic use of Cinryze® (C1 esterase inhibitor [human]) provided effectiveness and maintained a generally favorable safety profile in the majority of treated subjects with hereditary angioedema (HAE). HAE is a rare, severely debilitating, life-threatening genetic disorder caused by a deficiency of a human plasma protein called C1 inhibitor. The paper entitled Safety and Efficacy of Prophylactic Nanofiltered C1-inhibitor in Hereditary Angioedema by Drs. Bruce L. Zuraw and Ira N. Kalfus describes the maintenance of effectiveness and the safety profile of Cinryze as continuing prophylactic therapy in a large cohort of subjects with HAE. These data have been published in the July 14th online edition of The American Journal of Medicine (AJM). The company expects the data to appear in the September print issue.
According to the publication, subjects were to be treated with Cinryze 1000 units every 3 to 7 days based on the decision of the investigator; subjects in the study experienced a 93.7 percent reduction in attacks while taking prophylactic Cinryze (median of 0.19 attacks per month) compared with the median historical rate at baseline (3 attacks per month). Some 87.7 percent reported an attack frequency of one or less attack per month during prophylactic Cinryze and 34.9 percent had no attacks during the study. Some 7.5 percent of subjects experienced relatively frequent attacks despite twice-weekly Cinryze. Additionally, though 18 subjects (12.3 percent) had an overall attack rate of more than 1 per month on Cinryze, only 4 subjects (2.7 percent) failed to achieve an attack rate of one or less per month when treated with Cinryze at the recommended twice per week schedule.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV