Updated from 8:50 a.m. EST to include analyst comments in the sixth and seventh paragraphs.
AuthenTec makes mobile and network security solutions, and recently signed a deal with Samsung to be featured in its new Android smartphone and tablets.
The 60% premium signals to investors that Apple's serious about its war with Samsung, as it tries to lock down more of the component supply chain. The ironic part of this is that Samsung is also a key supplier to Apple for both the iPhone and iPad.There have been no statements from either company yet, save for an SEC filing before market open. One has to wonder whether this could be a precursor for Apple's move into digital wallets, given AuthenTec's specialty. Wells Fargo analyst Maynard Um speculates this might be the case,. "We believe this deal signals the potential for fingerprint sensors in upcoming Apple devices, which not only increases device security, but could also be a mechanism to assure security needed to execute mobile payments on iPhones. We see this as likely one of the primary reasons for the acquisition," Um wrote in a note to clients. He rates Apple shares "outperform" with a target range of $640-$660. A recent analyst note from July also hinted at this. Craig Hallum analyst Richard Shannon, who covered AuthenTec, noted that the company was "transforming into a security solutions provider for mobile payments and the delivery of premium mobile content." He rates AuthenTec "buy" with a $6 price target. Apple has not yet responded to TheStreet's request for comment on this story. AuthenTec shares are soaring in early Friday trading, up 62.72% to $8.25, while Apple is off 0.36% to $572.79. Interested in more on Apple? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV