MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., July 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Omnicell, Inc. (NASDAQ:OMCL), a leading provider of medication and supply management solutions and analytics software for healthcare facilities, today announced that the University of South Alabama Health System (USA), based in Mobile, Ala., selected Omnicell to be its provider of automated medication management solutions throughout USA Medical Center and USA Children's & Women's Hospital. The University of South Alabama Health System's Omnicell G4 technology investment will replace its legacy medication management system and complement the advanced technology needs of the growing health system.
As a leading regional healthcare provider that treats more than 250,000 patients each year, the University of South Alabama Health System needed medication management technology that integrated easily with their Siemens Information System. USA has several unique programs in the hospital, including: a computerized physician order entry (CPOE) system, an electronic health record system (USAeCare) and a unique bedside bar code scanning system (MAK) for medication administration. Upon reviewing competitive solutions, USA discovered that the Omnicell G4 medication management system more easily exchanges data with their clinical information systems.
USA also reported that its purchasing decision was driven by the intuitive user interface, reliable design, and compelling long-term cost of ownership of Omnicell G4 medication management solutions.
USA Children's & Women's Hospital has medication delivery requirements unique to the pediatric setting. Children's oral doses take up significantly more space in medication cabinets and require more capacity to be fully utilized efficiently. In evaluating vendors, USA learned that Omnicell cabinets are able to handle the additional capacity to fit the needs of pediatric medications. The integrated medication label printer was also a critical safety feature important to the healthcare system."The University of South Alabama Health System is an advanced regional medical center and teaching institution. We needed a medication management partner that is on the cutting edge of innovation and constantly striving to help us provide safer, more efficient care. After looking closely at competing products, it quickly became clear that Omnicell was the right partner for USA," said Robert Smith, director of pharmacy at the University of South Alabama Children's & Women's Hospital. "The USA Health System provides our patients with the most advanced medical care, including the area's only Level III neonatal intensive care unit, only Level I trauma center, and the USA Mitchell Cancer Institute. Our commitment to excellence is directly reflected in our system-wide conversion. Omnicell delivers the best, which is what our patients deserve." In addition to the Omnicell automated dispensing cabinets, the University of South Alabama is scheduled to implement the following Omnicell solutions at both the USA Medical Center and USA Children's & Women's Hospital in the fourth quarter of 2012:
- WorkFlowRx™ is a server-based pharmacy inventory management software program that integrates an inventory management system with bar code packaging to automate the ordering, receiving, stocking, and picking processes.
- SinglePointe™ software handles and stores up to 100 percent of a patient's medications within the automated dispensing cabinets to improve pharmacy and nursing workflow efficiency and reduce the chance for medication errors or missed doses.
- OmniDispenser™ module for controlled substances in the ADCs is designed to create a safe and secure medication management process that eliminates the need for nursing countbacks and helps the hospital reduce administration errors.
- Anywhere RN™ offers nurses a flexible approach to the medication administration process that positively impacts nursing and patient safety. It is a web-based application designed specifically for nurses that lets them remotely access the Omnicell cabinet from any computer or workstation in the patient care area.
- Savvy™ is a mobile medication system designed to streamline the medication administration process and provide safe and secure transportation of medications from the automated dispensing cabinet (ADC) to the patient's bedside. Savvy works with Anywhere RN and integrates with the hospital Electronic Medication Administration Record (MAK) software.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV