Investors tend to give Amazon the benefit of the doubt because it runs its business rather allowing the business to run it. Jeff Bezos has always advocated and executed a proactive strategy of aggressive reinvestment.
In Q2 alone, the company's capital expenditures came in at a whopping $657 million. According to Amazon's guidance, they'll go up in the current quarter to between $800 million and $900 million. Though Amazon stock continues to be one of the most resilient in the market, a loud chorus of (soon to be insolvent) bears can't help but take exception with the spending.
Amazon builds buildings in the United States. It employs people in the United States. It drives economies. And, soon, it will help balance more than a few states' budgets.
After it redefined the space, it continues to further transform retail and participate in the emergence and disruption of everything from the cloud to streaming video.Laugh now, but you won't be laughing in 10 years when Amazon fills your heart medication and sends you your Depends with free two-day shipping. Why in the world wouldn't the stock go up? Amazon practices the tenets of capitalism and, supposedly, of being American. Never be satisfied. Invest in yourself. You gotta spend money to make money and all that. Meantime, the Facebooks, Pandoras and Zyngas of the world get punished for very ably following in Amazon's footsteps. Somebody please explain the Great Contradiction to me without using the same old tired arguments about valuation. I need something novel to think about while I'm on holiday. Follow @RoccoPendola At the time of publication, the author was long FB, P and ZNGA. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV