Marketing and administrative expenses, on a non-GAAP basis, were $3.2 billion in the second quarter of 2012, a decrease from $3.4 billion in the second quarter of 2011. The decrease was primarily due to ongoing productivity measures.
Research and development (R&D) expenses, on a non-GAAP basis, were $2.0 billion in the second quarter of 2012, an increase from $1.9 billion in the second quarter of 2011. The increase primarily reflects the $120 million upfront payment as part of the Endocyte Inc. transaction.
Equity income from affiliates was $142 million for the second quarter, which primarily reflects the performance of AZLP and Sanofi Pasteur MSD.
Other (income) expense, net was $103 million of expense in the second quarter of 2012, compared to $121 million of expense in the second quarter of 2011.Key Developments The company noted the following developments:
- Pivotal Phase III data were presented that showed suvorexant, an investigational treatment for insomnia, improved patients' ability to fall asleep and stay asleep, achieving significance on 15 of 16 primary endpoints. Merck anticipates filing regulatory applications for approval by the end of 2012;
- Primary efficacy outcomes were met in the Phase III trial of odanacatib, Merck's investigational cathepsin-K inhibitor for osteoporosis, and Merck announced that the study is being concluded early. Merck expects to file regulatory applications for approval in the United States and Europe in the first half of 2013 and Japan in the third quarter of 2013;
- Merck continued to advance plans for four additional major regulatory filings by end of 2013 including: BRIDION (sugammadex), a neuromuscular blocker reversal agent; V503, a nine-valent vaccine for HPV; TREDAPTIVE (extended-release niacin/laropiprant), a novel candidate for multiple lipid parameters; and vintafolide, a small molecule drug conjugate for ovarian and other cancers (European Union filing);
- Merck previously announced in late March 2012 that the independent Data Safety Monitoring Board of the IMPROVE-IT study planned to review data from the study again in approximately nine months. That review has been scheduled for March 2013, at which point nine months of additional data will have been adjudicated;
- Five-year data were presented from the STARTMRK study, in which the regimen including ISENTRESS demonstrated better efficacy and long-term safety and tolerability versus the regimen including efavirenz; and
- Merck and AstraZeneca amended their option agreement related to AZLP. As a result, AstraZeneca will not acquire Merck's stake in AZLP in 2012 and has a new option to acquire Merck's interest in June 2014.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV