Before I take a look at -- before we look forward, let me highlight some of the movements of the flows in the second quarter. In after a very robust quarter for ETFs, marketplace demand reversed and investors sentiment turned towards risk aversion. Retail asset outflows were composed largely of $2.1 billion and assets related to the PowerShares QQQs and another $900 million in PowerShares DB commodity products. Traditional PowerShares ETF business continued to be less volatile and saw $736 million of inflows during the quarter, at a rate of growth well in excess of our industry market share.
Institutional flows were marked by one-off outflows of $3.2 billion in low fees, stable value, fixed income assets and global equity assets, reflecting the risk of behavior we saw during the quarter. As I mentioned earlier, we saw a turnaround in the direction of flows during July, and we're confident of the future organic growth in spite of the challenging quarter. Contributing to our optimism within the institutional channel is a sharp increase in the number of buy ratings amongst U.S. consultants and a broad number of capabilities by ratings nearly doubled over the past year to an all-time high for Invesco and there still plenty of upside.
We're also seeing very strong RFP activity with a 49% increase in momentum during the second quarter of this year versus the second quarter of the prior year. Specifically, during July, we're already seeing strong demand with flows into real estate, international growth, bank loans, balance risks and stable value. We also saw strong demand in July for Invesco mortgage capital with an equity raise, which will result in $1 billion of assets under management. As importantly, yields on the inflows are significantly higher in the assets that outflowed during -- from the quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV