For three years News Corp's earnings per share have been relatively flat, which makes a prudent investor wonder if the current price is sustainable without a large increase in EPS going forward.
NWS currently trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of around 17. CMCSA sports a PE ratio of almost 20 but a forward (one-year) PE of 14.48. News Corp's forward PE is unclear, and the date for reporting its earnings for the second quarter is not yet known. Too much uncertainty for my blood.
Here's the schedule of dates that TV networks and media companies will begin releasing the latest earnings numbers, according to the Associated Press:
July 31: Discovery Communications (DISCA)Aug. 1: Time Warner (TWX) and Comcast (NBC owner) Aug. 2: CBS (CBS) and Scripps Networks Interactive (SNI) Aug. 3: Viacom (VIA) Aug. 7: Walt Disney (ABC owner) Aug. 9: AMC Networks (AMCX) So keep your eye on your favorite media companies and don't forget to consider Comcast carefully. Analysts are looking for quarterly earnings through June 30 of 48 centa per share and full-year 2012 EPS of around $1.89. Comcast is a great media empire, and not really over-priced with a PEG ratio (five-year expected) of only 1.12. That said, it wouldn't break my heart to see a price correction that would bring the PEG ratio to below 1. That's when I begin salivating and rubbing my buyer's hands together.
At the time of publication the author had no holdings in the stocks mentioned. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage. Make smarter trading decisions and provide investment ideas that could help make you richer. Bryan Ashenberg does the dirty work so you don't have to!
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV