DEERFIELD, Ill., July 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Horizon Pharma, Inc., (NASDAQ: HZNP) announced today that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved RAYOS ® (prednisone) delayed-release tablets (1 mg, 2 mg and 5 mg) to treat a broad range of diseases including rheumatoid arthritis (RA), polymyalgia rheumatica (PMR), psoriatic arthritis (PsA), ankylosing spondylitis (AS), asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) ( see full prescribing information at www.RAYOSrx.com ). The FDA approval was supported by data bridging the pharmacokinetics of RAYOS to immediate-release prednisone and data from the Circadian Administration of Prednisone in RA (CAPRA-1 and 2) trials. The CAPRA-2 trial demonstrated that people with moderate to severe RA treated with RAYOS experienced a statistically significant improvement in ACR20 response criteria compared to placebo. The CAPRA-1 trial supported the overall safety of RAYOS.
"We are extremely pleased the FDA has approved RAYOS for a broad range of indications, including RA and polymyalgia rheumatica," said Timothy P. Walbert, chairman, president and chief executive officer, Horizon Pharma. "Our initial focus will be on the launch of RAYOS in rheumatologic diseases such as RA and polymyalgia rheumatica in the fourth quarter of this year. Based on the extent of the approved indications, we will be developing a broader commercial strategy to expand the opportunity for RAYOS in key IL-6 mediated diseases, including asthma and COPD."
RAYOS Clinical Data U.S. New Drug Application The efficacy of RAYOS in the treatment of RA was assessed in the CAPRA-2 trial, a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized, 12-week trial in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis diagnosed according to American College of Rheumatology (ACR) criteria. Enrolled patients were not currently being treated with corticosteroids but had received non-biologic disease-modifying antirheumatic drug (DMARD) therapy for at least 6 months prior to receipt of study medication, with an incomplete response to DMARD therapy alone. Patients were randomized in a 2:1 ratio to treatment with RAYOS 5 mg (n=231) or placebo (n=119) administered at 10 p.m. in addition to their DMARD therapy. A total of 350 patients were enrolled and ranged in age from 27 to 80 years (median age 57 years). Patients were predominantly Caucasian and 84% were female.
Results from CAPRA-2 demonstrated:
- A statistically significant improvement in ACR20 response criteria, the primary study endpoint, for patients who were treated with RAYOS compared to the placebo group (47% vs. 29%; p-value = 0.001).
- A statistically significant improvement in ACR50 response compared to placebo (22% vs. 10%; p-value = 0.007) and an improvement in the more stringent ACR70 response criteria (7% vs. 3%; p-value = 0.0984). Both ACR50 and ACR70 were pre-specified secondary endpoints.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV