Neustar, Inc. (NYSE: NSR), a trusted, neutral provider of real-time information and analysis to the Internet, telecommunications, entertainment and marketing industries, today announced results for the quarter ended June 30, 2012 and increased its guidance for full-year 2012.
GAAP Results for Second Quarter 2012 Compared to Second Quarter 2011
Non-GAAP Results for Second Quarter 2012 Compared to Second Quarter 2011
- Revenue increased 40% to $206.5 million
- Income from continuing operations increased 15% to $38.6 million
- Income from continuing operations per diluted share increased 27% to $0.57
- Cash, cash equivalents and investments totaled $235.0 million
- Share repurchases totaled $25.0 million or 742,000 shares
- Adjusted net income from continuing operations increased 33% to $51.2 million
- Adjusted earnings per diluted share increased 47% to $0.75
“Our second quarter results exceeded our expectations, reinforcing our confidence in our ability to execute on our strategy,” said Lisa Hook, Neustar’s president and chief executive officer. “Neustar has long been a leader in addressing, routing, and policy management. We are now emerging as a leader in real-time information and analytics, and doing so while meeting our growth targets and other objectives.”
Paul Lalljie, Neustar’s chief financial officer, added, “Our results this quarter demonstrate strength across all of our businesses and our ability to execute on our plan. In particular, we experienced sequential top-line growth, strong profits, and robust cash generation. Given our performance to date and the key leading indicators of the business, we are confident in our ability to execute our operational plan and achieve the higher financial projections we are providing today.”
Discussion of Second Quarter Results
Consolidated revenue totaled $206.5 million, a 40% increase from $147.7 million in the second quarter of 2011. This increase included revenue of $38.0 million from our Information Services operating segment. In particular:
- Carrier Services revenue totaled $126.3 million, a 14% increase from $110.8 million in 2011. This increase was primarily due to an $11.0 million increase in NPAC Services revenue and a $2.1 million increase in Order Management Services revenue.
- Enterprise Services revenue totaled $42.1 million, a 14% increase from $36.8 million in 2011. This increase was due to higher revenue in Registry Services and Internet Infrastructure Services; and
- Information Services revenue totaled $38.0 million comprised of $23.0 million in Identification Services, $9.8 million in Verification & Analytics Services, and $5.2 million in Local Search & Licensed Data Services.
Operating expense totaled $138.1 million, a 49% increase from $92.4 million in the second quarter of 2011. This increase was primarily driven by the addition of $37.1 million in operating expense from the Company’s recent acquisitions as it continues to diversify its portfolio of services. The remaining $8.6 million of the increase was primarily driven by the growth in the Company’s operations. In particular, personnel and personnel-related expense increased $3.4 million due to increased headcount in the areas of sales and marketing, technology and operations.