The Seattle-based company reported second-quarter earnings of $7 million, or a penny per share, on revenue of $12.83 billion. The latest results included a net loss of $65 million related to the acquisition and integration of Kiva Systems.
That performance compares to the average estimate of analysts polled by Thomson Reuters for a profit of 2 cents a share in the June-ended quarter on revenue of $12.88 billion and earnings of $191 million, or 41 cents a share, in the same period a year earlier.
CEO Jeff Bezos highlighted Amazon Prime, the expansion of the company's movies and TV episode library and the Kindle Owners' Lending Library in his earnings commentary."Amazon Prime is now the best bargain in the history of shopping - that is not hyperbole," said Bezos in a press release, adding later: "We're very grateful to our Prime members, and thank them whole-heartedly for the business and for the word-of-mouth that has made this program grow." For the company's third quarter ending in September, Amazon forecast an operating loss of between $50 million and $350 million and revenue ranging from $12.9 billion to $14.3 billion. Wall Street's current consensus estimate is for earnings of 14 cents a share in the current quarter on revenue of $14.09 billion. Shares of Amazon closed Thursday's regular session up 1.36% at $220.01. The stock was last quoted at $220.49, up 22 cents, on after-hours volume of 1.8 million. --Written by Nathalie Pierrepont in New York. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. >Contact by Email. Follow @nrpierrepont
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV