CHICAGO, July 26, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Beginning tomorrow, Friday, July 27, the Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE) will introduce a process for trading SPX Variance Strips (ticker: VSTRP).
SPX Variance Strips are designed to electronically trade a large and complex portfolio of S&P 500 options (SPX) in a single transaction, replicating S&P 500® implied variance exposure. Additionally, "V-Strips" will employ a quoting convention similar to that used in over-the-counter (OTC) variance trading.
Upon execution, matched SPX Variance Strip trades will be sent to a special post-trade system ("BasketWeaver(SM)") and will be broken up into as many as one thousand SPX contracts, which are then cleared by the Options Clearing Corporation (OCC)."SPX Variance Strips add another unique way for customers to trade CBOE's growing family of exclusive S&P index offerings. Each of our S&P 500 index products meets specific customer needs in trading the S&P 500, and our new SPX Variance Strip process is expressly aimed at qualified professionals, including OTC users," CBOE Chairman and CEO William J. Brodsky said. "At the core of creating SPX Variance Strips for these customers was the ability of our in-house systems team to customize the trading technology required to accommodate its unique construction. The new technology we designed to trade 'V-Strips' – called 'BasketWeaver' – is a prime example of how systems development can be leveraged to power product innovation at CBOE." A detailed description of the SPX Variance Strip process, as well as a link to daily updates of information on the SPX options comprising SPX Variance Strips, can be accessed at http://www.cboe.com/VarianceStrips. Among the points about SPX Variance Strips:
- Prices will be quoted in volatility points (similar to OTC).
- Trade quantities will be expressed in contracts; each variance strip "contract" features a multiplier (e.g., $25,000, $50,000, etc.) that reflects the aggregate vega exposure – sensitivity to the underlying instrument's volatility – of the SPX options comprising the variance strip.
- The expiration date of the SPX variance strip will correspond to the expiration date of the SPX options series.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV