Now I'll turn the call over to Bill. Bill?
William P. Utt
Thanks, Zac, and good morning, everyone. During today's call, I'd like to cover a few key areas. First, I'll walk through a few key takeaways relative to our second quarter performance and make some brief comments on our updated 2012 earnings guidance. Second, I'll provide an update on several of our key prospects. And third, I'll highlight the dynamics we're seeing in our markets.
For the second quarter, KBR delivered $0.70 per fully diluted share. Our performance was better than we had initially expected for Q2 but still generally consistent with our overall expectations for the full year 2012. We initially expected that second quarter earnings before taxes would be a bit better than the first quarter. Our actual results were a fair amount better than those expectations for a number of reasons, a few of which I'll touch on here.First, as we noted in our Q2 earnings release issued last night, we've seen stronger execution during the quarter on several projects in construction or commissioning, which has allowed us to reduce our forecast cost estimates to complete these projects. Additionally, as we close out these projects, we have to be able to resolve several outstanding issues on these projects, which may present further opportunities for KBR. Second, we've made good progress and have seen scope growth on our other projects beyond our initial expectations as well as realized achievements on several projects we had expected to recognize later in 2012. These projects are progressing well and KBR's execution has been consistently strong. Third, we've maintained our focus on disciplined cost controls across KBR and recognized notable benefit versus forecast in the quarter. In conjunction with this, we've lowered our guidance on corporate G&A to approximately $230 million from our previous guidance of between $240 million and $250 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV