Hire a Shrink and Fix Your Business: Ask Noah
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Q: Hey, Noah. Quick question; As a small business owner, I have had some success. My company has always turned a profit and I am well aware that, in this particular cycle, that is quite an accomplishment. However, we always seem to be in crisis mode. From employees getting into idiotic arguments with each other to what someone has called "top down leadership issues" (I'll take the blame for that!) -- our business culture is flawed and often dysfunctional. I've been told I need to give up on my tough bullying act, and create a more "harmonious office." I've looked into hiring a reputable organizational psychologist to assess the work environment. Do you see a benefit in this sort of 'intervention'-- or is this an internal problem that I can fix myself?
A: If you knew how to fix the situation you would have done so already. Your responsibility is to solve the problem by any means necessary. The benefits of having an organizational psychologist work with you are immense. Remember your financial success is dependent upon the happiness and comfort of your employees.
Your employees will perform better when the culture in which they work is supportive, uplifting, well-organized, consistent and respectful. All too often, CEOs think the way to increase productivity is through intimidation and or manipulation.
But the opposite is true. Aside from the obvious ethical issues involved, it is just bad business to be an unapproachable bully. When an angry boss indiscriminately yields power or force over his or her employees, the employees act fearfully and often become dreadfully unhappy at their jobs. Inevitably, office performance suffers.When frustrated employees can't imagine bringing their work issues to their superiors out of fear, they begin to fight with one another. In lieu of concentrating on or even enjoying their work achievements, they become eaten up with anger toward "David, the account manager," or "Sheryl, the supplies manager." An organizational psychologist can improve your staff's performance in the following ways:
- Improve the way employees process information.
- Teach them vital interpersonal communication skills.
- Educate them on basic principles of fairness and equality.
- Increase overall morale and well-being, thus improving creative thought.
- Help employees to clearly delineate between rational and irrational thinking patterns.
- Define empowerment and find ways in which employees can be more involved in the company's growth.
- Address burnout issues.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV