Exxon Mobil Corporation (NYSE:XOM):
|Second Quarter||First Half|
Earnings Excluding Special Items 1
|$ Per Common Share|
|$ Per Common Share|
|Capital and Exploration|
|Expenditures - $ Millions||9,339||10,306||-9||18,173||18,127||0|
1 See Reference to Earnings
EXXONMOBIL'S CHAIRMAN REX W. TILLERSON COMMENTED :
“Second quarter results reflect our ongoing commitment to develop and deliver the energy needed to help meet global demand and underpin economic recovery and growth. Despite global economic uncertainty, we continue to invest throughout the business cycle taking a long-term view of resource development.
“Second quarter earnings of $15.9 billion included a net gain of $7.5 billion associated with divestments and tax-related items. Excluding these items, second quarter earnings were $8.4 billion.“Capital and exploration expenditures were $9.3 billion in the second quarter and a record $18.2 billion for the first six months of 2012 as we progress our plans to invest about $37 billion per year over the next five years to help meet the global demand for energy. “The Corporation distributed $7.7 billion to shareholders in the second quarter through dividends and share purchases to reduce shares outstanding.” SECOND QUARTER HIGHLIGHTS
- Earnings of $15,910 million increased $5,230 million or 49% from the second quarter of 2011. Earnings included a net gain of $7.5 billion associated with divestments and tax-related items.
- On June 1, ExxonMobil completed the restructuring of its Downstream and Chemical holdings in Japan. Under the restructuring, TonenGeneral Sekiyu K.K. (TG) purchased ExxonMobil’s shares in a wholly-owned affiliate in Japan for approximately $3.9 billion. As a result, ExxonMobil’s effective ownership of TG was reduced from 50% to 22%.
- Earnings per share (assuming dilution) were $3.41, an increase of 56%.
- Capital and exploration expenditures were $9.3 billion, down 9% from the second quarter of 2011.
- Oil-equivalent production decreased 5.6% from the second quarter of 2011. Excluding the impacts of entitlement volumes, OPEC quota effects and divestments, production was essentially flat.
- Cash flow from operations and asset sales was $13.9 billion, including proceeds associated with asset sales of $3.7 billion.
- Share purchases to reduce shares outstanding were $5 billion.
- Dividends per share of $0.57 increased 21% compared to the second quarter of 2011.
- ExxonMobil and Rosneft signed agreements to jointly develop tight oil reserves in Western Siberia and establish a joint Arctic Research Center for Offshore Developments.
- ExxonMobil has filed permit applications to progress plans for a world-class petrochemical expansion on the U.S. Gulf Coast, in anticipation of a 2016 start-up. The potential project would include a new ethane cracker and premium product facilities at ExxonMobil’s integrated Baytown complex in Texas.
- ExxonMobil and joint venture partner Saudi Basic Industries Corporation will proceed with construction of a world-scale specialty elastomers facility. The 400 thousand metric tons per year facility will be integrated with the existing Al Jubail complex in Saudi Arabia, and completion is anticipated in 2015.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV