Build-A-Bear Workshop, Inc. (NYSE: BBW), an interactive entertainment retailer, today reported results for the second quarter and first six months ended June 30, 2012.
Second Quarter 2012 Highlights (13 weeks ended June 30, 2012):
- Consolidated net retail sales of $79.0 million represented a 1.8% decrease compared to $80.4 million in 2011, excluding the impact of foreign exchange;
- Consolidated comparable store sales declined 1.7% and included a 1.8% decrease in North America and a 1.3% decrease in Europe. Second quarter 2012 net revenue and comparable store sales were negatively impacted by the shift of the Easter holiday and associated school vacations, which moved sales into this year’s first quarter;
- Consolidated e-commerce sales rose 5.5%, excluding the impact of foreign exchange. This comes on top of a 22.8% increase in the fiscal 2011 second quarter; and
- Pre-tax loss of $8.3 million improved from a pre-tax loss of $10.7 million in the fiscal 2011 second quarter.
Maxine Clark, Build-A-Bear Workshop’s Chief Executive Bear commented, “Our first six months results show our progress toward our goals with positive comparable store sales in North America, a sequential improvement in quarterly trend in Europe and strong growth in our e-commerce sales. The execution of our key strategies, including disciplined expense control, has driven a solid improvement in our operating performance in the first half of 2012. While the economic environment continues to be challenging, particularly in Europe, we believe the key components of our strategy are on track to post further improvement in sales productivity and profitability.
“In just over a month, we will open our first newly imagined store design in St. Louis with five additional stores opening in major US markets in the following weeks. The new store merges Build-A-Bear Workshop’s hands-on bear-making process with the power of technology to provide a magical new experience for our Guests,” concluded Ms. Clark.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV