Meridian Bioscience, Inc. (NASDAQ: VIVO):
Meridian Bioscience, Inc., Cincinnati, Ohio (NASDAQ: VIVO) today:
- reported fiscal 2012 third quarter and nine months net sales of $42.1 million and $129.8 million, respectively, increases of 5% and 10%, respectively, from the same periods of the prior fiscal year;
- reported third quarter operating income of $12.6 million, an increase of 24% compared to the prior year third quarter;
- reported nine months operating income of $37.2 million, an increase of 23% compared to the same period of the prior fiscal year;
- reported third quarter net earnings of $8.6 million, or $0.21 per diluted share, increases of 26% and 24%, respectively, compared to the fiscal 2011 third quarter. On a non-GAAP basis, earnings were $8.8 million, or $0.21 per diluted share, increases of 29% and 24%, respectively. In the fiscal 2012 third quarter, this non-GAAP basis excludes the effect of costs associated with the consolidation of its Saco, Maine operations into its Tennessee facility (see non-GAAP financial measure reconciliation);
- reported nine months net earnings of $24.8 million, or $0.60 per diluted share, increases of 23% and 22%, respectively, compared to the same period of fiscal 2011. On a non-GAAP basis, earnings were $25.5 million, or $0.61 per diluted share, increases of 21% and 20%, respectively. In the fiscal 2012 year-to-date period, this non-GAAP basis excludes the effect of costs associated with the consolidation of its Saco, Maine operations into its Tennessee facility, and in the fiscal 2011 year-to-date period it excludes the costs of reorganizing its sales and marketing leadership (see non-GAAP financial measure reconciliation);
- declared the regular quarterly cash dividend of $0.19 per share for the third quarter of fiscal 2012, (indicated annual rate of $0.76 per share), the same as the regular quarterly rate of fiscal 2011; and
- revised downward its fiscal 2012 guidance of per share diluted earnings to between $0.78 and $0.81 (excluding plant consolidation costs of $0.02) on net sales of $171 million to $175 million.
|FINANCIAL HIGHLIGHTS (UNAUDITED)|
In Thousands, Except per Share Data
|Three Months Ended June 30,||Nine Months Ended June 30,|
|2011||% Change||2012||2011||% Change|
|Diluted Earnings per Share||$||0.21||$||0.17||24||%||$||0.60||$||0.49||22||%|
|Diluted Earnings per Share|
|excluding effect of plant|
|consolidation costs (2012) and|
|sales and marketing leadership|
|reorganization costs (2011)|
|(see non-GAAP financial measure|
|Cash and Short-Term Investments||$||27,938||$||25,563|
COMPANY COMMENTSJohn A. Kraeutler, Chief Executive Officer, said, “The third quarter, despite positive sales growth (+5%) and strong operating income (+24%), was disappointing given our good performance in the second quarter, along with the expectation that the majority of downside surprises had been minimized. While U.S. Diagnostic sales increased by 10% during the period, European Diagnostics revenues were flat on a local currency basis but down 11% on a U. S. dollar basis. Revenue growth was led by our tests for C. difficile, foodborne and H. pylori pathogens in the U.S.; however, in each product group, growth rates declined from the strong second quarter rates. Meridian Life Science revenues improved by 4%, with the timing of large orders, again causing volatility when viewed on a sequential quarter-over-quarter basis. The Bioline business grew revenues by 12% on a local currency basis; however, negative currency dropped that rate to 9% in U.S. dollars. Operating income increased by 24%, once again reinforcing our efficiency, and reflecting the savings from the consolidation of our core Life Science manufacturing facilities. Gross profit improved from 63% in the prior year to 66% and operating income improved to 30% of revenues. Operating strength was due to improved margins and level spending versus the prior year resulting from strong spending controls and currency.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV