NeuroMetrix, Inc. (Nasdaq: NURO), a medical device company focused on the diagnosis and treatment of the neurological complications of diabetes, today reported business and financial highlights for the quarter and six months ended June 30, 2012.
There was encouraging progress in the diabetes business as the Company accelerated sales of NC-stat ® DPNCheck™, its diagnostic test for the evaluation of peripheral neuropathies such as diabetic peripheral neuropathy (DPN). DPN affects over 50% of people with diabetes and causes significant morbidity including pain, increased risk of falling in the elderly, and is the primary trigger for diabetic foot ulcers which may require lower extremity amputations. The Company also reported progress in commercializing its R&D pipeline with the SENSUS™ pain management device which is targeted for market launch in the fourth quarter of 2012.
Recent highlights include:
- Penetration of the managed care market was initiated with a substantial order from WellMed Medical Group of San Antonio, TX. WellMed provides care to approximately 100,000 Medicare Advantage patients and plans to regularly evaluate its patient population for peripheral neuropathies such as DPN. During the second quarter NC-stat DPNCheck devices and consumables were delivered to WellMed, training was completed and product use has started. Managed care represents the most compelling near term market opportunity for NC-stat DPNCheck.
- Retail health is an important market where the Company is building a presence. During the second quarter, the Company filled a large order from Wal-Mart Canada Corp. and Wal-Mart began to offer foot examinations, with NC-stat DPNCheck as a key component, at its Canadian pharmacies that have a diabetes focus.
- The strategically important endocrinology and podiatry markets continued to show progress in NC-stat DPNCheck device placements at the pace seen in preceding quarters.
- The installed base of NC-stat DPNCheck devices reached 500 in May and now stands at 590. The Company is at a pace to achieve its goal of 1,000 devices in the market by year end.
- Commercial launch of SENSUS remains on track for the fourth quarter. The Company filed a 510(k) submission with the FDA in April 2012 and subsequent requests for additional information have been promptly addressed by the Company. The Company filed a second 510(k) submission in June 2012 for the Company’s proprietary SENSUS electrode. This single-patient electrode will provide 1-2 weeks of use and represents a recurring revenue stream from use of the SENSUS product.
- The recent American Diabetes Association (ADA) meeting provided an opportunity for the Company to discuss its products and pipeline with leaders in the diabetes community.
“Our recent successes in managed care and retail health are encouraging,” said Shai N. Gozani M.D., Ph.D., President and Chief Executive Officer of NeuroMetrix. “Our challenge is to leverage growing product recognition into broader adoption, particularly in managed care, while remaining on track with the SENSUS commercial launch. We continue to see an attractive diabetes franchise opportunity focused on DPN.”