To manage this growth, we're in year 2 of a 4-year capacity improvement plan. We've got 7 additional long sidings that will come online late third quarter, early fourth quarter this year that will increase our long train capacity, which, obviously, will help us drive our industry train speed back up and add capacity for continued growth in this key corridor.
So with that said, we have and we'll continue to report industry train speed externally to allow an apples-to-apples comparison to other roads. But in line with our supply chain, end-to-end mindset at CN, we've also established a network train speed measure 2 years ago that is an all-inclusive train speed measure which is meaningful to speak to. So whereas the industry train speed excludes time spent in terminals or accrued change points, network train speed does not. It captures both road and yard time for our trains. What is meaningful about this at CN is during the same time we were slightly down on our industry train speed, we've made gains on network train speed in spite of this GTM growth that we've experienced across our network. Our network train speed actually improved just under 3% quarter-to-quarter despite this growth.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV