NEW YORK ( Trefis) -- Global macroeconomic uncertainties caused by the eurozone crisis, low global GDP growth rate and the economic slowdown in emerging markets, have led to the current weakness in demand for semiconductors.
Unlike some of its competitors such as AMD (AMD), which succumbed to the harsh economic environment with an 11% sequential decline in its earnings, Intel (INTC) yet again proved its dominance in the market by posting a 4% year-on-year increase in second-quarter revenue.
The company's stock has registered a 5% increase in its value since the start of the year. (See related articles
While current demand for smartphones and tablets remain strong, the slowdown in the PC market remains a cause of concern for the semiconductor industry. Intel made its much awaited entry in the lucrative mobile computing market early this year, which we feel helps the company stay abreast with changing consumer trends.However, it continues to derive over 60% of its value from the PC market, which makes its valuation highly vulnerable to any negative development in this space. The continued slowdown in consumer spending in US and Europe and a moderation in growth from emerging markets has forced Intel to lower its annual sales target for 2012 to 3% to 5%. (See our
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV