NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The rumor mill is cranking out more rumors about what the Federal Reserve will do after its July 31 meeting.
Another big helping of what I call "massive quantitative easing," or MQE, is on its way, and recent news articles are suggesting it may come sooner rather than later.
MQE will not only be focused on buying mortgage-backed securities, but I believe it will include a directive to increase credit liquidity and accelerate the velocity of money to help ease the current stringent restrictions on business and personal borrowing.Also, the central bank could deepen its commitment to keeping interest rates at zero beyond 2014 and directly offer credit to banks through the use of the discount rate to prompt lending, the WSJ reported. Any way you slice it and dice it, MQE will be a surprisingly generous version of what Ben Bernanke reiterated on July 17 when he said the Fed "is prepared to take further action as appropriate to promote a stronger economic recovery." Notice that the Fed Chairman said "stronger economic recovery". He chooses his words carefully, and in order to follow through the Fed will need to do more than they've done in the first two iterations of MQE. When the Fed does pull the trigger, the first sector to correct after an initial bounce higher will be the mortgage REITS including Annaly Capital Management (NLY) and Hatteras Financial (HTS). Yes, I love their generous (nearly 13%) dividend payouts. But what really concerns me is they're both trading at or near their 52-week highs and their payout ratios are frighteningly high. Annaly Capital has a current payout ratio of 423%. Hatteras Financial has a 98% payout ratio. From past experience, and from the chart below, these two stocks have more downside risk than upside potential. NLY Payout Ratio TTM data by YCharts
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV