In the second quarter of 2012, the Company continued to achieve loan growth, with its loan portfolio increasing $40.7 million organically on a linked-quarter basis and advancing $74.3 million overall compared with the year-earlier quarter. For the second quarter of 2012, the Company's loan portfolio, including loans acquired through FDIC-assisted acquisitions, totaled $605.0 million, which increased $42.4 million on a linked-quarter basis. Total deposits stood at $860.3 million at the end of the second quarter of 2012, down 1% or $8.4 million on a linked-quarter basis from $868.7 million, primarily reflecting a planned runoff of time deposits.
Accounting for FDIC-Assisted Loans
The Company performs ongoing assessments of the estimated cash flows of its acquired FDIC-assisted loan portfolios. The fair value of the FDIC-assisted loan portfolios consisted of $87.4 million in covered and $15.2 million in non-covered loans at the end of the second quarter of 2012 compared with $95.5 million in covered and $17.4 million in non-covered loans at the end of the first quarter of 2012. The principal balance of the FDIC-assisted loan portfolios totaled $188.0 million at the end of the second quarter of 2012 compared with $209.8 million as of the end of the first quarter of 2012. The details of the accounting for the FDIC-assisted loan portfolios for the second quarter of 2012 are as follows:
- Covered loans acquired in FDIC-assisted acquisitions decreased $8.1 million to $87.4 million;
- Non-covered loans acquired in FDIC-assisted acquisitions decreased $2.2 million to $15.2 million;
- The FDIC loss-share receivable associated with covered loans acquired in FDIC-assisted acquisitions decreased $6.6 million to $76.3 million;
- The negative accretion for the FDIC loss-share receivable was $133,000;
- Provision expense for loans acquired in FDIC-assisted acquisitions was $341,000;
- The non-accretable discount decreased $17.6 million to $66.5 million; and
- The accretable discount increased $6.1 million to $18.8 million.
For the second quarter of 2012, provision expense of $341,000 was recorded for loan charge-offs on loans acquired in FDIC-assisted acquisitions not provided for by the discount or reimbursement from the FDIC. The provision expense for these loans did not affect the Company's loan loss reserve. The FDIC loss-share receivable associated with covered FDIC-assisted loans decreased $6.6 million from $82.9 million for the prior quarter to $76.3 million, primarily driven by reimbursements received from the FDIC of $5.1 million and negative accretion of $858,000 affecting the loss-share receivable asset that was associated with the improvement in expected cash flows of the loss-share performing portfolios.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV