The Company's estimated total risk-based capital ratio at June 30, 2012, was 19.6%, significantly exceeding the required minimum of 10% to be considered a well-capitalized institution. The ratio of tangible common equity to total tangible assets was 11.2% as of June 30, 2012.
Looking ahead, the Company intends to maintain its capital strength at the current level to support growth and its acquisition activities. Accordingly, stock buybacks and dividend growth in the future will reflect largely the Company's future earnings power, rather than a return of capital to stockholders.
During the second quarter of 2012, the Company repurchased approximately 179,000 shares under its stock repurchase programs. The program expiring in July 2012 has been completed, and the program, expiring in December 2012 unless extended or otherwise completed, has a remaining authorization to repurchase approximately 260,000 shares.Second Quarter 2012 Results of Operations The Company reported net income of $1.4 million or $0.17 per diluted share for the second quarter in 2012 compared with a net loss of $481,000 or $0.06 per diluted share for the second quarter in 2011. However, the Company's results for the second quarters of 2012 and 2011 included special items that affect comparability. Results for the second quarter of 2012 included net non-recurring expenses of $23,000, net of tax, while the results of the year-earlier quarter included net non-recurring expenses of $385,000, net of tax. Excluding these special items, the Company's adjusted net income for the second quarter of 2012 was $1.4 million or $0.17 per diluted share compared with a net loss of $96,000 or $0.01 per diluted share for the second quarter of 2011 (see reconciliation of non-GAAP items). The $1.8 million improvement in reported earnings was primarily the result of the following items:
- Improved net interest income of $3.7 million due to growth in interest-earning assets and a reduction in the cost of interest-bearing deposits;
- Increased noninterest income of $119,000, driven by improvements in mortgage banking fees of $314,000, bankcard services income of $157,000 and bargain purchase gains of $151,000, partially offset by reductions in the gain on sale of securities of $426,000 and in the accretion for the FDIC loss-share receivable of $138,000; offset by
- Increased noninterest expense of $634,000, primarily due to higher salaries and employment benefits of $537,000 and increased equipment and occupancy expense of $279,000 and $152,000, respectively, driven by the acquisition-related hiring of an additional 24 full-time equivalent employees, as well as growth in most other noninterest expense categories, and offset in part by reduced acquisition-related expenses of $405,000;
- Increased provision expense for non-FDIC-acquired loan losses of $50,000, driven by organic loan growth;
- Increased provision expense for FDIC-acquired loan losses of $341,000, driven by the resolution of those assets, which did not increase the allowance for loan losses.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV