Symetra Financial Corporation (NYSE: SYA) today reported second quarter 2012 net income of $43.8 million, or $0.32 per diluted share. This compares with $58.1 million, or $0.42 per diluted share, in second quarter 2011. Symetra posted net realized investment losses of $6.4 million in second quarter 2012, compared with net gains of $14.1 million in the prior-year period. The decline in net income reflected lower gains on sales of fixed maturities and increased investment impairments.
Adjusted operating income was $47.2 million, or $0.34 per diluted share, in second quarter 2012, compared with $48.5 million, or $0.35 per diluted share, in the same period a year ago.
|Summary Financial Results||Three Months Ended||Six Months Ended|
|(In millions, except per share data)||June 30||June 30|
|Net Income||$ 43.8||$ 58.1||$ 119.2||$ 111.6|
|Per Diluted Share of Common Stock||$ 0.32||$ 0.42||$ 0.86||$ 0.81|
|Adjusted Operating Income||$ 47.2||$ 48.5||$ 106.5||$ 92.2|
|Per Diluted Share of Common Stock||$ 0.34||$ 0.35||$ 0.77||$ 0.67|
|* Historical financial information has been restated to reflect retrospective adoption of a new accounting standard for|
|deferred acquisition costs on Jan. 1, 2012.|
“Symetra turned in a solid operating performance and completed work on several key initiatives during the second quarter. While earnings were up year over year in Deferred Annuities and Income Annuities, they declined in the Benefits and Life segments, due in part to higher expenses related to new products and expanded distribution,” said Tom Marra, president and chief executive officer of Symetra.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV