NEW YORK ( Trefis) -- China, the world's largest mobile phone market, saw a total of about 12 million new subscriber additions in June. This took the total mobile subscriptions in China to 1.05 billion, well past the 1 billion mark it had crossed in March. To put this number in perspective, the U.S. currently has just over 330 million active connections in all.
While the Chinese figure may not be reflective of the actual number of mobile users in the country as some of these connections are currently inactive, it is still a compelling statistic that shows the huge growth opportunity that China presents for many smartphone manufacturers. At the same time, it is also a huge opportunity for the incumbent Chinese telecom providers such as
Of the three Chinese carriers, China Telecom may be the smallest but its subscriber base of over 144 million easily puts most wireless carriers in the developed world to shame. The largest wireless carrier in the U.S., Verizon (VZ) , has about 110 million total connections currently and it operates in an increasingly saturated market.
On the other hand, China's 3G penetration is only about 17% and is likely to increase heavily in the coming years as smartphone makers target China. As a result, China's smartphone market is growing by leaps and bounds and is poised to become the largest by the end of the year.Armed with the iPhone, the Lumia, as well as a horde of cheaper Android handsets, China Telecom looks set to ride the widespread 3G transition in the coming years. We have a
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV