The company previously announced a quarterly cash dividend of $0.06 per share to shareholders of record on June 1, 2012, paid on June 29, 2012.
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Kevin P. Knight, offered the following comments:
''In the second quarter of 2012 we experienced typical seasonal improvement in the freight environment. Supply and demand were relatively balanced and resulted in less spot pricing opportunities, as compared to the same period last year. Our asset-based businesses continued to grow market share while meaningfully improving operating margins. Our average revenue per total mile (excluding fuel surcharges) increased 2.1% in the second quarter when compared to the same period last year while increasing our length of haul and lowering our non-paid empty mile percentage. Average revenue per tractor (excluding fuel surcharges) declined slightly as higher rates were offset by lower utilization per truck as we continued to grow our fleet. Our net income of $19.3 million and earnings per diluted share of $0.24 represent the highest second quarter net income as well as the highest earnings per diluted share recorded in company history.''
The following chart reflects the year-over-year operating ratio comparison and revenue growth (excluding trucking fuel surcharge revenue) for each of our businesses for the second quarter of 2012 and 2011.
Operating ratios (1)
Revenue growth(excluding truckingfuel surcharge)
|Port and Rail Services||86.8||%||88.1||%||21.2||%|
|Asset based operations||81.1||%||83.7||%||4.3||%|
|Non-asset based operations||96.0||%||94.4||%||-1.1||%|
(1)Operating ratio is defined as total operating expenses, net of trucking fuel surcharge, as a percentage of revenue before fuel surcharge.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV