Banner Corporation Reports Net Income Of $25.4 Million, Or $1.27 Per Diluted Share, In Second Quarter; Net Income Highlighted By Strong Revenue Generation And Improved Credit Quality, Leading To A Recovery Of The Deferred Tax Asset
In the second quarter of 2012, Banner paid a $1.6 million dividend on its $124 million of Series A senior preferred stock and accrued $454,000 for related discount accretion. Including the preferred stock dividend and related accretion, net income available to common shareholders was $1.27 per share for the second quarter of 2012, compared to net income available to common shareholders of $0.40 per share in the first quarter of 2012 and $0.01 per share for the second quarter a year ago.
Second Quarter 2012 Highlights (compared to second quarter 2011 except as noted)
- Net income was $25.4 million, compared to $2.2 million in the second quarter a year ago.
- Revenues from core operations* increased 8% to $52.3 million.
- The net interest margin improved to 4.26%, compared to 4.11% in the preceding quarter and 4.09% in the second quarter of 2011.
- Net interest income before provision for loan losses increased 3%.
- Deposit fees and other service charges increased 10%.
- Revenues from mortgage banking increased 234%.
- Non-performing assets decreased to $73.2 million, or 1.73% of total assets, at June 30, 2012, a 21% decrease compared to three months earlier and a 61% decrease compared to a year earlier.
- Non-performing loans decreased to $47.4 million at June 30, 2012, a 27% decrease compared to three months earlier and a 59% decrease compared to a year earlier.
- The ratio of tangible common equity to tangible assets increased to 10.92% at June 30, 2012.
*Earnings information excluding fair value and other-than-temporary impairment (OTTI) adjustments (alternately referred to as other operating income from core operations or revenues from core operations) represent non-GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) financial measures. Management has presented these non-GAAP financial measures in this earnings release because it believes that they provide useful and comparative information to assess trends in the Company’s core operations reflected in the current quarter’s results. Where applicable, the Company has also presented comparable earnings information using GAAP financial measures.
Credit Quality“Improving our risk profile and aggressively managing our troubled assets has been, and will remain, a primary focus for our management team,” said Grescovich. “As a result of this focus, credit costs continued to decline and were significantly below those of a year ago, and although they remain above our long-term goal, we are confident credit costs will decline further in the near term. All of our key credit quality metrics have improved and Banner’s reserve levels are substantial.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV