Caterpillar is a "glass half-full"-type of company, says Cramer. Instead of focusing on how poorly countries like Brazil, China, Europe and the United States are doing, Caterpillar focuses on the plans these countries have in place to turn themselves around or how Caterpillar could become less dependent on them.
Cramer says the "stock got overly hammered" earlier in the year because of a belief that Caterpillar was being too bullish with its guidance. But he believes the company deserves the benefit of the doubt because they delivered on that outlook, even beating estimates.Cramer wasn't put off by Caterpillar lifting its full year outlook by only 10 cents a share despite beating in the latest quarter by more than that. He feels the company is being realistic, not conservative, trying to take into account uncertainty about the future and potential problems in China, where there is a possibility of cancelled orders. He doesn't expect the company to have problems with its business in the United States or for it to be affected by the fiscal cliff as long as oil prices stay around $90, which is where Cramer says Caterpillar does its best. -- Written by Catherine Grudzinski in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV