Cramer says that Ron Shaich, Chairman and co-CEO of Panera, is a straight shooter and he believes him when he says Panera has an affinity associated with it that leads to higher sales.
Panera's quarterly earnings report was characterized by solid sales (comparable store sales of 7% at stores owned by the company), no price degradation, and commodity costs that were under control. Given the remarkable report by Panera, Cramer wants to revisit Chipotle (CMG) to make sure that management there isn't being too conservative on their earnings guidance.McDonald's (MCD) and Chipotle both claimed the macro environment hurt sales. That wasn't the case at Panera. Cramer says "there is no economic sensitivity to Panera's menu, none!" That suggests that Panera has a strong, loyal customer base that isn't frightened by higher prices. Interestingly, that is the opposite of the theme this quarter that people don't want to pay up for food. --Written by Lindsey Bell in New York. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Lindsey Bell.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV