PITTSBURGH (AP) â¿¿ Mine Safety Appliances Co. saw its second-quarter earnings rise 43 percent, topping expectations as sales boomed in emerging markets.
The company, which sells safety gear to mine operators, oil and gas companies and the military, reported net income of $28 million, or 75 cents per share, compared with $19.6 million, or 53 cents per share, a year ago.
Net sales were flat at $294.7 million.
Analysts expected earnings of 67 cents per share on revenue of $299.6 million, according to FactSet.The company said sales of core products including head gear and breathing equipment rose 10 percent but 18 percent in emerging markets. The figures exclude currency-rate effects. The company, based in Cranberry Township, Pa., said it increased in gross profit margin by controlling costs. The stock rose 81 cents, or 2.4 percent, to $35.26 by midday on volume of 81,000 shares. Average daily volume is 148,000.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV