Tech giant Microsoft (MSFT) announced its earnings on Thursday, upticking revenues and sending investors buying shares today. Microsoft has a long history of sharing cash with shareholders, spending $14.3 billion on dividends and stock buybacks in the last year. Now I think it's likely we'll see MSFT pay out even more of its profits back to shareholders with a dividend hike.
Microsoft is the standard bearer in the PC software market, earning the majority of its revenues through successful software franchises such as the Windows operating system and the Office suite of productivity tools. But the firm was one of the first big tech companies to expand its reach -- Microsoft's peripheral offerings include mobile phone software and video game systems.>>10 Top-Rated Tech Stocks That Pay Big Dividends Mobile devices in particular have been one area where MSFT has made some public missteps. The firm will need to deploy its massive $60 billion cash and investment reserve cautiously if it wants to provide the best return for shareholders. I'd expect a bump to the firm's 20 cent dividend payout in the next quarter. After all, once the payout the firm announced last month goes out, Microsoft will have kept its dividend flat for four quarters. Microsoft shows up on recent list of 5 Stocks to Buy if They Crash on Earnings and 4 Earnings Reports Bigger Than RIM's.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV