Multimedia giant Cablevision (CVC) owns a cable TV and data network that passes through more than 5 million homes centered around New York City, a lucrative market for a high-margin, utility-like business. The firm also owns Newsday. Not long ago, those noncore businesses were more prevalent; the firm spun off AMC Networks (AMCX) and Madison Square Garden (MSG) in the last two years, focusing on its cable offerings instead.
Cablevision operates an enviable geographic footprint, and with enviable penetration rates. While its cable reaches 5 million homes, a full 3 million of those are actually Cablevision customers. While that tempers the firm's growth prospects, it also means that CVC is able to earn robust income and pay out a similarly robust dividend. Right now, the firm pays out a 4.13% yield.>>8 Top-Rated Stocks With the Best Earnings Outlooks An advanced cable network helps too. While the firm does carry a fairly hefty debt load, it doesn't have to deal with the ongoing capital expense of upgrading what it has now. That network also helps to attract customers who have become accustomed to high-speed connections. This U.S. centric stock is a good choice for risk-averse investors who want to collect income without dealing with losses from Europe. As of the most recently reported quarter, Cablevision was one of Julian Robertson's Tiger Management holdings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV