Forest Oil (FST)
Who They Are: Forest Oil is engaged in the acquisition, exploration, development, production and marketing of natural gas and crude oil in North America. Forest Oil trades an average of 6.6 million shares per day with a marketcap of $825 million.
Forest is forecast to report weak second-quarter earnings after the market closes on July 30. The consensus estimate is currently 6 cents a share, a slumping 30 cents (83.3%) from 36 cents during the same period last year.Analyst opinion is mixed with this company. Most of the analysts surveyed don't believe a buy or a sell is currently warranted. Right now, Forest has six buy recommendations out of 16 analysts covering the company, along with nine holds, while one recommends selling. Analysts have walked further away as the shares have moved lower. Five out of 16 analysts now rate Forest a strong buy down from nine analysts a month ago. Shareholders have not been rewarded for their patience, shares have fallen 73.5% in the last year, and the average analyst target price for Forest is $13.14. April 30 was the last earnings release with a closing price of $13.32. Relative to a current price of $6.53, shares are down 49.8%. For the same fiscal period year-over-year, revenue has declined slightly to $704.56 million last fiscal year compared to $708.68 million in the previous year. The bottom line has falling earnings year-over-year of $137.84 million last fiscal year compared to $227.52 million in the previous year. The short interest is relatively high at 14% and could turn into the fuel for a short squeeze if Forest can deliver. It's hard to handicap this stock, and the best thing I know about it is I talked a friend out of it a while ago, saving him some money. Forest missed earnings three in the last four quarters, the average miss was 6 cents, and the one surprise beat was for 0.05 cents (16.13%) per share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV