ConocoPhillips (NYSE: COP) today reported second-quarter 2012 earnings of $2.3 billion, or $1.80 per share, compared with second-quarter 2011 earnings of $3.4 billion, or $2.41 per share. The current quarter includes one month of downstream earnings related to discontinued operations associated with the April 30, 2012, spinoff of Phillips 66. Last year’s quarter included three months of downstream earnings.
Excluding special items of $732 million, second-quarter 2012 adjusted earnings were $1.5 billion, or $1.22 per share, compared with second-quarter 2011 adjusted earnings of $2.3 billion, or $1.64 per share. Special items for the current quarter include $534 million in earnings from discontinued operations and $285 million from gains on asset sales.
- Completed spinoff of downstream businesses into Phillips 66.
- Achieved production of 1.54 million BOE per day.
- Continued progress on North American unconventional programs.
- Progressed Australia Pacific LNG’s project with sanction of second train in early July.
- Initiated drilling and acquired additional leases in deepwater Gulf of Mexico.
- Completed disposition of Alba and Statfjord fields.
- Repurchased 52 million ConocoPhillips shares, representing 4 percent of outstanding shares.
- Paid quarterly dividend of 66 cents per share, consistent with pre-spinoff levels.
“We are off to a strong start as an independent E&P company and the business is running well,” said Ryan Lance, chairman and chief executive officer. “Our production was on target, our major growth projects are on track and we are continuing to add to our conventional and unconventional exploration inventory. We continue to progress our asset sales program, providing additional financial flexibility to fund our high-margin organic investments. We remain committed to growing our production by 3 to 5 percent, improving our financial returns and delivering a sector-leading dividend.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV