Sales for 2Q 2012 decreased by 1.0% to $22.5 billion as compared with $22.7 billion for 1Q 2012, and were down 10.5% as compared with $25.1 billion for 2Q 2011. Sales were lower during 2Q 2012 as compared to 1Q 2012 primarily due to lower steel shipment volumes (-2.5%), marginally lower average steel selling prices (-0.4%) and the impact of negative foreign exchange effects.
Depreciation amounted to $1.2 billion for 2Q 2012, compared to $1.1 billion for 1Q 2012 and $1.2 billion for 2Q 2011.
Impairment charges for 2Q 2012 and 2Q 2011 were nil. Impairment charges for 1Q 2012 totaled $69 million, primarily related to the extended idling of the electric arc furnace and continuous caster at the Schifflange site in Luxembourg (Long Carbon Europe).
Restructuring charges for 2Q 2012 totaled $190 million and consisted primarily of costs associated with the project to close two blast furnaces, sinter plant, steel shop and continuous casters in Liege, Belgium. Restructuring charges for 1Q 2012 totaled $107 million and consisted of costs associated with the implementation of the Asset Optimization Plan primarily impacting Flat Carbon Europe and Long Carbon Europe operations. There were no such restructuring charges in 2Q 2011.Operating income for 2Q 2012 was $1.1 billion, as compared with $663 million for 1Q 2012 and $2.3 billion for 2Q 2011. Operating income during 2Q 2012 was positively impacted by $339 million gain from the Skyline Steel divestment 4. Operating income during 1Q 2012 was positively impacted by changes to the employee benefit plans at Dofasco, leading to curtailment gains of $241 million. Operating performance for 2Q 2012 and 1Q 2012 was positively impacted by $136 million and $159 million, respectively, of DDH income (unwinding of hedges on raw material purchases) recognised during the quarter. Operating income for 2Q 2011 included a non-cash gain of $189 million relating to DDH income.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV