Steel shipments for 2Q 2012 were 5.8 million tonnes, an increase of 1.8% as compared to 5.7 million tonnes for 1Q 2012.
Sales in the Long Carbon Americas and Europe segment were lower at $5.7 billion for 2Q 2012, as compared to $5.8 billion for 1Q 2012. Sales were impacted by an increase in steel shipment volumes offset by lower average steel selling prices (-2.7%) primarily due to depreciation of local currencies in Europe and South America.
EBITDA for 2Q 2012 was $564 million, a 29.1% increase as compared to $437 million for 1Q 2012. Higher profitability was primarily driven by improved volumes combined with lower input cost, primarily in Europe (scrap prices) and recovery in our Tubular business which was impacted by operational issues in 1Q 2012.
Operating performance in 1Q 2012 was negatively impacted by restructuring costs totalling $46 million associated with the implementation of the Asset Optimisation Plan primarily relating to Spanish entities. Additionally, due to ongoing construction market weakness impairment charges totalling $61 million were recorded during 1Q 2012 associated with the extended idling of the electric arc furnace and continuous caster at the Schifflange site in Luxembourg.Asia Africa and CIS (“AACIS”)
|(USDm) unless otherwise shown||2Q 12||1Q 12||2Q 11||1H 12||1H 11|
|Operating income / (loss)||(38)||2||341||(36)||466|
|Crude steel production (Mt)||3,691||3,615||3,830||7,306||7,536|
|Steel shipments (Mt)||3,321||3,353||3,304||6,674||6,446|
|Average steel selling price (US$/t)||687||705||768||696||730|
|Operating income (loss) /tonne (US$/t)||(11)||1||103||(5)||72|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV