Steel shipments for 2Q 2012 were 6.8 million tonnes, a decrease of 9.2% as compared to 7.5 million tonnes for 1Q 2012. Steel shipments decreased due to lower demand in Europe, following the end of restocking, and lower exports.
Sales in the Flat Carbon Europe segment were $7.2 billion for 2Q 2012, a decrease of 6.4% as compared to $7.7 billion for 1Q 2012. Sales decreased primarily due to lower steel shipment volumes offset in part by higher average steel selling prices (+2.7%) in dollars despite euro currency depreciation.
EBITDA for 2Q 2012 was $381 million as compared to $130 million for 1Q 2012. Higher profitability was primarily driven by higher average selling prices and lower cost (benefit from lower average inventory cost) partially offset by lower steel shipment volumes. EBITDA for 2Q 2012 includes $136 million of DDH income recognized during the quarter as compared to $159 million DDH income for 1Q 2012.
Operating performance in 2Q 2012 was negatively impacted by restructuring costs totaling $176 million associated with the project to close two blast furnaces, sinter plant, steel shop and continuous casters in Liege, Belgium. Operating performance in 1Q 2012 was negatively impacted by restructuring costs totalling $56 million associated with separation schemes primarily relating to Polish entities as part of the implementation of the Asset Optimisation Plan.Long Carbon Americas and Europe
|(USDm) unless otherwise shown||2Q 12||1Q 12||2Q 11||1H 12||1H 11|
|Crude steel production (Mt)||5,885||5,785||6,414||11,670||12,473|
|Steel shipments (Mt)||5,839||5,738||6,167||11,577||12,039|
|Average steel selling price (US$/t)||885||910||973||898||938|
|Operating income /tonne (US$/t)||57||19||58||38||47|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV