Steel shipments for 2Q 2012 were 5.7 million tonnes, 1.1% higher than 1Q 2012.
Sales in the Flat Carbon Americas segment were $5.4 billion for 2Q 2012, a marginal increase of 1.7% as compared to $5.3 billion for 1Q 2012. Sales were impacted by higher steel selling prices in North America with lower dollar prices in South America due to depreciation of Brazilian Real.
EBITDA in 2Q 2012 decreased by 24.8% to $474 million as compared to $632 million in 1Q 2012. EBITDA in 1Q 2012 was positively impacted by changes to the employee benefit plans at Dofasco which resulted in curtailment gains of $241 million 5. Excluding the curtailment gain effect, EBITDA in 2Q 2012 was 21.2% higher than 1Q 2012. Higher profitability was primarily driven by North American operations due to better selling prices combined with lower input cost, partially offset by lower profitability from South American operations and higher cost.
Flat Carbon Europe
|(USDm) unless otherwise shown||2Q 12||1Q 12||2Q 11||1H 12||1H 11|
|Operating income / (loss)||(154)||(284)||245||(438)||351|
|Crude steel production (Mt)||7,143||7,182||7,870||14,325||15,501|
|Steel shipments (Mt)||6,771||7,461||7,166||14,232||14,550|
|Average steel selling price (US$/t)||884||861||1,026||872||976|
|Operating income (loss) /tonne (US$/t)||(23)||(38)||34||(31)||24|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV