Finally, I'd like to remind you that all forward-looking statements made during this conference call are subject to various risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from expectations. These factors are discussed more fully in the earnings release and in the company's SEC filings. Copies of these SEC reports are available from the SEC and from the Unisys investor website.
And now I'd like to turn the call over to Ed.
J. Edward Coleman
Thanks, Niels. Hello, everyone. Thank you for joining us today to discuss our second quarter 2012 financial results. This is a solid quarter for Unisys. We reported significantly higher profits, grew revenue on a constant currency basis and continued to make progress on our 3-year financial objectives. Please see Page 4 of the presentation materials for highlights of our results.We reported net income of $46.6 million compared with an $11.6 million net loss a year ago. The year-ago net loss included a $45.7 million debt reduction charge. Excluding debt reduction charges and pension expense in both years, as well as the impact of a Brazilian tax matter in the year-ago quarter, our non-GAAP earnings per share rose to $1.41 from $1.07 in the year-ago quarter.Revenue declined 2% but grew 3% in constant currency despite a 20% revenue decline in our U.S. Federal business where market conditions continue to be challenging. This was the third quarter out of the past 4 that we've grown our overall revenue on a constant currency basis.Our technology business had a particularly strong quarter, growing revenue 12% on strong ClearPath sales. Year-to-date, our technology revenue was up 3%. We continue to believe the best way to measure this business is on an annual basis, and our goal is to maintain stable technology revenue for the full year, most importantly in our flagship ClearPath platform.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV