Other top Spirit cities include Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; Detroit; Chicago; Atlantic City, N.J.; and Las Vegas, a compendium of leisure destinations with other carrier's hubs. In July alone, Spirit has announced new service from Minneapolis to three cities and from Dallas to eight cities.
A unique fare structure, which includes rock bottom fares and fees for nearly everything including carry-on bags, means that Spirit has not endeared itself to everybody. Often, bloggers and some travel writers are highly critical.
But Baldanza said: "Competitors don't like our prices and elitists in the media don't like that we unbundle."
Added Biffle: "If you talk to the vast majority of our upwards of 10 million passengers, they save money, stay in a nicer hotel, and eat a better dinner because of our low fares. We save millions of dollars a year. They like us."On Tuesday, Spirit reported that in the second quarter it beat estimates and posted an operating profit margin of 16.3%. "Some people have been concerned that Spirit is going into big city markets and competing against big carriers and could jeopardize their ability to keep margins up," said Imperial Capital market Bob McAdoo. "Their expansion into DFW shows they can continue to do it," McAdoo said. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/tedreednc. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV