Hatteras Financial Corp. (NYSE: HTS) (“Hatteras” or the “Company”) today announced financial results for the quarter ended June 30, 2012.
Second Quarter 2012 Highlights
- Generated net income of $0.91 per weighted average share
- Declared a $0.90 per share dividend
- Quarter end book value $27.45 per share
- Earned a net return on average equity of 12.91%
- Realized average net interest spread of 1.49%
- Weighted average constant prepayment rate of 19.7
- Annualized total expense ratio of 0.88% of average shareholders’ equity
Second Quarter 2012 Results
During the quarter ended June 30, 2012, the Company earned net income of $89.1 million, or $0.91 per diluted common share, compared to net income of $69.3 million, or $0.89 per diluted common share, during the quarter ended March 31, 2012. Net interest income for the quarter ended June 30, 2012 was $83.0 million, compared to $72.0 million for the quarter ended March 31, 2012 reflecting the growth in the portfolio from the common stock offering completed at the end of March. The Company’s average earning assets increased to $21.1 billion for the second quarter of 2012 from $17.3 billion in the first quarter of 2012 as the Company deployed the proceeds from its common stock issuances completed in the first quarter of 2012. The Company’s net interest margin decreased to 1.49% for the second quarter of 2012 from 1.58% in the first quarter of 2012 as portfolio yield dropped. The Company’s cost of funds (including hedges) decreased .09% to 0.94% in the second quarter of 2012. The Company’s average repurchase agreement (repo) rate on outstanding short-term (less than 30 days) repo positions increased to 0.41% in the second quarter of 2012, from 0.35% in the first quarter of 2012. The increase in the short term repo rate was offset by a decrease in weighted average interest rate on interest rate swaps, which declined from 1.72% in the first quarter of 2012 to 1.54% in the second quarter as a result of new swap positions added during the quarter. Operating expenses were $6.1 million for the second quarter of 2012 versus $5.2 million for the first quarter of 2012, due to the increase in shareholder’s equity. Total annualized expenses were 0.88% of average shareholders’ equity for the quarter ended June 30, 2012, down from 0.98% the previous quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV