Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN) today announced its financial results for the second quarter of 2012.
Second quarter 2012 results:
- Revenue of $281 million, a 2% decrease compared to $287 million in the second quarter of 2011.
- GAAP net income for the quarter of $23 million, or $0.18 per diluted share, compared to net income of $31 million, or $0.22 per diluted share, for the second quarter of 2011.
- Non-GAAP net income for the quarter of $53 million, or $0.40 per diluted share, compared to $52 million, or $0.38 per diluted share, for the second quarter of 2011 (see the table entitled "Itemized Reconciliation Between GAAP and Non-GAAP Net Income" for a reconciliation of these GAAP and non-GAAP financial measures).
- Cash flow from operations of $96 million compared to cash flow from operations of $71 million for the second quarter of 2011.
Gross margin in the second quarter of 2012 was 68.8% compared to 67.3% in the prior year period. Excluding the effect of non-cash charges associated with stock compensation, amortization of acquired intangibles, and legal contingencies, non-GAAP gross margin was 70.9% for the second quarter of 2012 compared to 69.0% in the prior year period.
Research and development (R&D) expenses for the second quarter of 2012 were $71.2 million compared to $50.8 million in the second quarter of 2011. R&D expenses in the second quarter of 2012 included a one-time charge of $21.4 million related to in-process research and development associated with the impairment of an early-stage technology acquired in 2010 as well as $7.7 million and $8.5 million of non-cash stock compensation expense in the second quarters of 2012 and 2011, respectively. Excluding these charges and contingent compensation, R&D expenses as a percentage of revenue were 14.7% compared to 14.1% in the prior year period.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV