David Einhorn Folds 'Em: Dell, Best Buy Gone
NEW YORK (TheStreet) --"You gotta know when to hold 'em. Know when to fold 'em." -- Kenny Rogers.
The Greenlight Capital manager, known for his short positions in Lehman Brothers and Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR), noted that the investments in the two companies underperformed, and it was time to move on.
"Dell (DELL) proved to be a disappointment. We had thought that the growth in the non-PC business would be enough to offset the deterioration in the PC business. The non-PC growth was smaller than we'd hoped and the PC deterioration was worse than we'd anticipated," Einhorn wrote to investors. He did go on to note that Dell has a "good balance sheet," but management appears to be using the cash to buy better businesses. He exited the position with a loss.Dell recently announced it was buying Quest Software (QSFT) for $2.36 billion. Einhorn also sold out of his position in Best Buy at a loss, calling it "particularly irksome." The hedge fund manager believed that Best Buy could compete with Amazon (AMZN) when it came to the buying decisions of consumers, noting that Greenlight's store surveys showed no price benefit to browse at Best Buy, then buy on Amazon. He did note that were was deterioration in the company's U.S.-based performance, but attributed that to "a lack of a 'must have' consumer electronics product, rather than an erosion of [Best Buy's] competitive position." Interested in more on Dell? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV