NEW YORK (BankingMyWay) -- The U.S. higher education system is a pretty good business, as college costs are rising way ahead of the rate of inflation, and ahead of the ability of U.S. families to pay for a college education.
That leaves parents with a potentially brutal decision to make. Should they bite the bullet and take out loans to pay for the skyrocketing cost of college? Or should they send their kids to more an inexpensive alternative, at least in the short term, like a community college or trade school?
Here is how college education costs match up against the rate of inflation since 1986, according to the financial web site InflationData.com :
Amid this economic catch-22, more and more parents say they can't afford the cost of sending their kids' to college. However, they still plan to do exactly that.In fact, 75% of U.S. parents want to aid their children with college, but are worried they can't come up with the money, according to a study from Discover Financial Services. Some other key pieces of data from the study:
Student loan debt bomb imperils U.S. economy
Student loan default: avoid at all costs
One good idea may pay off your student loans --By Brian O'Connell Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV