DALLAS, July 24, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today expanded its growing family of low-voltage DRV8x motor drivers with the industry's smallest 1.8-A brushed DC motor driver. The DRV8837 is 75 percent smaller than the nearest competitor, enabling smaller, sleeker, more innovative system design. It also extends battery life and improves thermal performance in battery-powered or low-voltage motion control applications by reducing R DS(ON) by 50 percent and sleep current by 75 percent, compared to existing devices. For more information or to place an order, visit http://www.ti.com/drv8837-pr.
Key features and benefits of the DRV8837:
- Extends battery life: Low R DS(ON) of 280 milliohms and an ultra-low sleep current as low as 35 nA improve thermal performance and extend battery life in applications such as toys, gas or water smart meters, electronic locks, micro printers and cameras.
- Improves performance: Separate logic and motor supplies improve performance in battery powered applications during start up and stall conditions.
- Wide/low-voltage operating range: 1.8-V to 11-V operating range supports up to 6-stack alkaline or 2-stack Li-ion battery pack applications.
- Reduces board space: Tiny 2-mm x 2-mm WSON package enables smaller, sleeker design.
- Advanced on-chip protection: Over-current, over-temperature, shoot-through and under-voltage protection increase system reliability and reduce design complexity.
Tools and support
The DRV8837 evaluation module is available today for a suggested retail price of US$25. Features of the DRV8837EVM include:
- On-board speed, sleep and direction controls.
- Micro-USB connection for easy evaluation/power-up.
- On-board MSP430 microcontroller (MCU) to fully evaluate DRV8837 performance with the added flexibility to use an external MCU.
- Easy access to critical control and test points.
- Order samples of the DRV8837: www.ti.com/drv8837-pr.
- See the full portfolio of DRV8x motor drivers: www.ti.com/drv8x-pr.
- Ask questions, help solve problems in the Motor Drivers Forum in the TI E2E™ Community: www.ti.com/e2emotor-pr.
- Follow the musings of TI's motor experts in the Motor Solutions blog in the TI E2E Community: www.ti.com/motorblog-pr.
- Check out motor drive and control selection guides, training, videos, application notes and block diagrams: www.ti.com/motor-pr.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV