Ramius LLC (“Ramius”), the global alternative investment management business of Cowen Group, Inc. (“Cowen”) (NASDAQ: COWN), today provided an in-depth view of the liquid alternative investment space with a particular focus on managed futures investing in a comprehensive report co-authored by Ramius Trading Strategies (RTS) Chief Executive Officer, William (“Bill”) Marr and Principal and Director of Investment Research, Alexander Rudin.
In the report, the team notes that:
- The growth of investment in liquid alternatives has accelerated at a rapid pace – fivefold for alternative mutual funds since pre-crisis levels - as retail investors look for access to alternative strategies with daily liquidity, and that growth is expected to accelerate going forward;
- Managed futures mutual fund assets alone have grown from $244 million in 2006 to $7.5 billion in 2011;
- Given the rapid growth of the industry, it is of the utmost importance that potential investors examine a number of criteria when choosing where to put their money to work.
Bill Marr said, “As a result of the financial crisis in 2008, there has been an increase in investor appetite for alternative investments that are more liquid, more transparent, and offered through a stable, regulated investment vehicle. Within Europe this led to significant growth in UCITS funds, and here in the U.S. alternative mutual fund assets have grown exponentially. To date, there are now 323 such mutual funds in the U.S. according to Morningstar and assets have now surpassed $120 billion.”
Added Marr, “As more investors look to liquid alternatives for superior portfolio construction, it is important that they truly understand the products and strategies available to them. The Ramius white paper provides research-based selection criteria for the investment community to consider when judging the multitude of products and underlying managers offering these products in order to help them make an informed investment decision.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV