The Hopkinton, Mass.-based firm brought in revenue of $5.31 billion, an increase of 10% from the same period last year, and above analysts' forecasts of $5.29 billion.
Excluding items, EMC earned 39 cents a share, an increase of 11% from the prior year's quarter, and in line with Wall Street's estimates.
The results marked the company's 10t consecutive quarter of double-digit year-over-year top- and bottom-line growth."I am very pleased with EMC's execution and record second-quarter financial performance," said EMC CEO Joe Tucci, in a statement released before market open. "We are seeing a transformation in the IT industry unlike anything we have seen before. Organizations are moving quickly to adopt cloud computing and take advantage of both the efficiency and agility that comes with running IT-as-a-Service." Tucci also highlighted the growing popularity of Big Data applications, which help businesses handle vast quantities of unstructured data. Revenue from EMC's Information Storage business increased 7% year over year, while sales from the company's RSA Information Security division grew 13%. EMC's VMware (VMW) virtualization subsidiary, which reported its own of second-quarter numbers on Monday, climbed 22% over the same period. EMC also reiterated its full-year guidance on Tuesday, projecting consolidated revenue of $22 billion. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters are looking for sales of $22.07 billion. Excluding items, EMC expects earnings of $1.70 a share, compared to analysts' estimate of $1.73 a share. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV